Sunday, November 9, 2008

Dr. F.E. Minist Chimes In

"I have a rule when I weigh myself: if I've gained, I starve myself for the rest of the day, but if I've lost, I starve too." – Anonymous quote from an Anorexic.

Throughout my life, I have been in contact with many individuals who suffer from eating disorders, from close friends to students in my classes. While we often associate eating disorders with simply the desire to look a certain way, they are actually about control. For many individuals, food is used a mechanism to control other forms of stress and anxiety in their lives.

Because of this, the idea of being sick to lose weight can be a theme for individuals with eating disorders or other body image issues.

It is perfectly normal to reach a point in your life where you need to lose weight or want to get in to shape. If you are having trouble with this, work with a professional to create a diet and exercise plan. Starving yourself will ultimately cause more harm than good. If you know someone who truly believes that being thinner will make them feel better about themselves, be a true friend and work to get them help.

- Dr. F.E. Minist
- photo by JuLee Brand

No comments: